Wednesday 27 February 2013

What is good? // Bunting

While researching Bunting I came across some really nice -oops, I mean interesting paper craft and thought that I would document it here to reference back to in the future, most images were found on pinterest (I am obsessed).  Also the paper craft idea could feed into my bunting designs/ stationery/ perhaps 'how to make paper bunting' or even 'paper craft' kits.


The colours used here are amazing, very bold.  Paper craft is very delicate, I'd like to work with this technique at some point.





YOU WILL NEED: 

+ A4 Paper
+ Scissors
+ Ruler
+ Needle (for scoring)
+ Thread
+ Double sided tape/glue
+ Printable templates (all files are at the bottom of the post)


HOW TO 

1. Print the template onto A4 paper. You can make four medallions from each sheet of A4 paper. Cut out.
2. Using a needle, prick holes in the template, where marked.
3. Using a needle and ruler score along all straight lines.
4. Fold the piece of paper up (accordion fold).
5. Cut out the diamond shapes.
6. Cut a length of cotton (I cut about an arms length).
7 & 8. Start threading the cotton through all the holes (apart from the first hole and last hole).
9. Stick one end of the paper to the other end. I used double sided tape but you can also use glue (I would wait for the glue to dry before finishing the rest of the steps).
10. Thread the cotton through the last hole.
11. Pull on the ends of the cotton until they are tight and then press down on the medallion to flatten….be careful at this point as the medallion will spring back up if not held in place.
12. Weight the medallion and tie a double knot in the thread. This part is quite tricky as the knot needs to be tight in order for the medallion to stay flat. If you have someone around who can help you then do ask!
You can of course make bigger medallions. Just make sure that the length of the paper is at least eight times longer than the width.



This I found quite interesting for packaging presents.




Materials
- 1.75 in. circle punch
- 1 in. circle punch
- Button
- Foam dots
- Glue

Instructions
- Punch out one 1.75" circle to use as a base and 30 1" circles for the petals.
- Attach the button with foam dots to the center of the large circle.
- Fold all the small circles in half. Glue them around the button (with the edge of each circle tucked under the button). I creased some all the way and some only slightly which make the latter petals appear more open—giving the flower an uneven look/texture.

This flower is similar to the one in a previous tutorial but the difference is that these petals are standing upright and not on their side.

Tips!
- Leave the center empty (no button) and use green paper to use it as a wreath gift topper!
- This is a perfect project to use up scraps—make it multicolored!
- It can also be a recycling project by using magazine pages.

This tutorial grabbed my eye due to the strong colours

I love this time of year, and I love to decorate.  Especially with red… my favorite color!  I’m always looking for ways to spruce up the joint, so I made my own decorations to welcome in Autumn proper.  These are going to be my plate toppers for Thanksgiving, no doubt.


Let’s make some easy and cool Autumn decor!


You’ll need to start with 8 3inX3in pieces of paper.  You can use as big or as small as you like, as long as it’s square.  I used construction paper in varying colors.


Fold the paper in half length wise then again.


Squash fold flat.  It will look like a triangle.  Do it again to the other side.


Take the edge of the triangle and fold into the middle.  Do this to the other side as well.


Your pieces will look like this when you’re done.


Make seven more and now let’s glue this bad boy together.


Put a dab of glue under the right side flap.


Place the left tab under the right flap.  Do this all the way around the form.


Place the glue under the right side flap on the last piece and carefully insert the left side of the first piece to glue.


FIN
Make as many as you want to decorate your table and plates.  I think I’m going to attach some string to them and make them into a garland.
Happy Crafting!



No comments:

Post a Comment